Well as with any respectable, licensed and inspected piercing studios there are age limits.
For ear, nostril, navel, or lip piercings you must be 16 years of age with government issue photo I.D. with proof of your age.
For any other piercings, you must be 18 years of age or older govenment issue photo I.D.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your Parent or Legal Guardian attend with supporting documented proof of Guardianship/Custody as well as Photo I.D.
- Written notes of authorization and/or phone calls from parents/guardians do not work.
Now you have I.D. and you are old enough or have your parents, now what do you do?
Shop around, visit the shops you have interest in and talk to the piercers, look at the studios ask some smart questions. Don't price shop, use your head, we are talking about your body and putting a hole in it somewhere. Do your research on the piercing you want then ask the piercer about the piercing and the aftercare for the piercing. Use common sense and gut instinct. If you don't feel comfortable at the shop you are in or you feel rushed by the piercer, leave and come back later or find another shop.
Key things to remember when finding a piercing studio
- Reputation and referrals from friends and other people with piercings.
- Experience of the piercer you are talking to - how long have they been piercing?
- Environment of the shop - is it clean, comfortable, Licensed and Inspected?
- Materials used for the piercing - what type of metal is used for the jewellery?
- Aftercare routine - is it simple and do you get it in writing?
- Customer support - if you have trouble will they help you out?
- Be sure you have your Photo I.D. and secondary proof of age. No I.D. No Piercing
- Parents or Guardians be sure you have I.D. and documented proof of custody and/or relationship.
- Ask about payment, not all studios accept credit cards or debit cards and generally no one accepts personal cheques.
- Be sure you are fresh and clean, truthfully most piercers hate working on someone who smells of garlic, or last nights booze etc. Have a shower and be happy.
- It's a good idea to be sure you have eaten at least two hours before you get your piercing done, it keeps energy levels up and prevents fainting.
- Scared? Ask about bringing a friend along to keep you company but don't bring 6 friends along they just get in the way and will distract you and the piercer.
- Make sure you don't have a cold or any other medical condition that will cause a problem with your piercing.
- Booze or Drugs for a little help? NO! No respectable piercing facility will render piercing services to you if you are on dope or alcohol, we aren't dumb we can tell.
- Relax, You will be in the care of a Professional Experienced Piercer who will guide your through your piercing experience with confidence and skill.